What is the importance of food?
- As per Ayurveda, there are 3 pillars of health and food is one of them. The three pillars are
- What we eat is of profound importance and plays the a very important role in maintaining or losing our health. This will probably help us understand. As per the science of Ayurveda…
- We are made of food — Imagine, we started our journey as a small kid, what contributed to our growth, what are our bones, muscles, …etc made of ? The only input we provide to body is food.. so these organs and our body cannot be made of anything else but the food we eat
- Nourishment to Diseases are provided by food — It may sound strange, but it is true that if the only input to the body is food, then the food has a great role in diseases. The nourishment to diseases are also provided by food. Whether it is tumor inside the body or vomiting or loose motions … the source of this is the food. Ultimately something that went inside our body turned up in these unwanted things .. and what went inside our body is nothing but food we eat.
- We are made of the 5 elements and so is the food — There are only 5 basic elements in nature ( water, earth, fire, air, ether ) … if that is the case then food can only be a combination of these elements, which in turn means, we are made of these elements only. Ayurveda understands and explains how each of these elements functions in our body and a balance of these leads to good health and the imbalance invites diseases.
- Food is also made of these 5 elements only. Hence, food plays a very important role in diagnosis of health and disease and Ayurveda.
How many times should we eat in a day?
- There are so many theories these days about how many times we should eat in a day, that it is very easy to get confused and lost. Everybody seems to have an opinion and most of them have no scientific or long term studies done. Even the so called new studies that are done, it is for such a small population and duration that i consider them risky and would not put my health at risk of trying these out. The not so funny part is that these opinions and recommendations keeps changing so often and no one is held accountable for wrong recommendations made in the past. I would rather go with something that had been done for centuries and written and there is clear ownership. Text of Ayurveda provides this clear ownership of that knowledge and if it were wrong, it would have been exposed by now. I understand that people have different opinion about Ayurveda, but i have not heard anybody saying that it’s principles are wrong or does not work. As per Ayurveda, these are the eating principles one need to follow to maintain a good health
- A grown up person should take at most one or two meals a day only. Apart from the two good meals, It is ok to have Milk, Fruits or Tea in between with at least 2 hour gaps. I think, most of the modern day health issues are primarily because of overeating and that is happening because people are either eating too often or too much or sometimes too little or most of the time not the right things.
- Ayurveda also prescribes that serving of Solid Food should only be taken only if the previous meal is completely digested. It takes at least 5 hours to complete digestion process and hence the minimum distance between two meals should be at least five hours
- For Kids ( upto age 16 ) it is ok to have more numbers of meals as needed, as they are in fast growth mode and this growth needs more supply
- There is a saying that those who eat one time are “Yogi” ( People trying to attain higher grounds … for lack of words ), those who eat twice are “Bhogi” – Everyday people trying to lead a normal materialistic life and everybody else is “Rogi” — diseased. It is so common these days to see people eating 3-4 full meals a day and naturally it is bound to cause diseases.
When should we eat?
- Our body represents or acts similar to the outside world. For eating, Ayurveda prescribes the “Follow The Sun” model.The digestive fire ( Agni ) inside our body is strongest when the Sun is strong, which is around Noon time. This means, that we should take our first heavy meal around Noon. We can take the second meal around Sunset. Dinner should be lighter than the first meal. Like nature, when the day sets, the coldness appears in the body and the channels contricts and the digestive fire is less at night and hence it is not advised to take a very heavy meal. Such meals will not get digested and also not able to travel through the channels freely. Such condition will lead to toxins inside the body and may cause blockages in the various channels
- A serving of Milk/tea ( without any food ) can be taken at a gap of 2-3 hours from food
- So here’s an example of how you can arrange your daily meal
- A glass of milk around 8:00 AM — Yes that is your only breakfast
- Lunch around Noon — This should be the heaviest meal of the day. The sun is strong , so is the body digestive fire to digest and absorb the power from this food
- Dinner around 7 PM – This should be lighter meal compared to Lunch.
- Tea, Coffee — Should be two hour apart from the Lunch or Dinner
Fruits — Should be two hour apart from Lunch, Dinner or Tea,Coffee
How much should we eat?
- Typically the recommendation is that you eat ¾ of your stomach capacity. Generally the stomach size is the amount of food you can hold in your two palms when put together. No wonder, we all are unique and hence the total food required is going to be different
- It is recommended that ½ should be solid food and ¼ should be in some liquid form like curry, lentils, soup and the remaining ¼ should be left empty. This space is very necessary for the processing of the food. The digestion process in stomach is compared similar to cooking of food in a pot. When we cook in pot, we have to keep some space aside for processing of the food and we should not fill the pot with food all the way up. Similarly we should leave some space in stomach for it to process the food that we eat
Can i do Snacking?
Sorry, but frequently snacking is not recommended unless your definition of snacking is milk or just tea or fruits. Please read the meals policy to get more details. it is recommended to take 2 meals a day with additional serving of milk or fruits in between if you want.
Does Season or Time of Day matter for eating?
What do you think ? Of course it does. I am not sure how much importance modern science gives to timing of food, but Indian culture is full of such practices and yes those are based on scientific principles. For example, it makes sense that we would avoid cold things at night or hot things in summer.
These are also known as genetically modified food. This is my personal opinion. I agree that human is doing lot of research and trying to learn new things. But i am on the opinion that nature is more powerful than human and there is a long way to go before we can play with nature and try to modify the nature. In my mind, the GMO foods are created by playing with nature. I would not take a chance and eat these foods. Companies may claim , they are not harmful, but i am not willing to take that risk. I don’t think there are long term studies done and hence would stay away from it.
I am amazed how human found a way to remove seeds from fruits, grains …etc. I think primarily this was done for convenience purpose, but now it has taken a different turn. Earlier, farmer use to keep a portion of the seeds and use it for harvesting in next season, which means they don’t have to buy the seeds again and again. But if we use these genetically modified seeds, then either these foods do not have seeds or the ones that have seeds, have been modified genetically in such a way that these seeds cannot reproduce. This means that the poor farmer have to buy these every season. It might be fine till here… however i am of the opinion that a food that cannot reproduce itself, if eaten will promote infertility and abnormal conditions in the body. Body constantly need to reproduce organs, blood ..etc to rebuild itself. We also need the ability to produce next generation … but if we eat something that cannot reproduce, then how can we expect the consumer of such food to reproduce. In my personal opinion, one of the cause of cancer is eating these genetically modified and seedless foods.
What do you feel about this innovation? I don’t feel very comfortable using it . You have your choice. I try to avoid it.
I feel that fridge/refrigerator is used to preserve food. These food if kept outside would have gone bad and hence we need to keep them at lower temperature to slow the decay process. In my mind, all its doing is slowing the death, but the food is definitely more dead when it comes out then it was put in. A dead food is not going to give so much life/energy as a live fresh food …. but sometimes it is the necessary evil. Avoid its usage as much possible. Even if you use it, make sure the temperature change that the food goes through is gradual and not super fast. In other words, don’t just take out of fridge and put in microwave or high heat oven. Let it come to normal temperature and then heat it for cooking. Imagine yourself … sitting in an ice cold chamber and then suddenly exposed to Sauna …you might catch cold , sneeze …same happens with the food … be gentle to them .. they are your friend and they will nourish you and become part of your body
Prepared and Packaged Foods
- I think lot of times our questions will get answered, the moment we start thinking food as living things instead of objects. Living things means like humans, pets …etc. How we do we treat living things … gently with care and what happens to them when they are used as objects of use. In fact before food we should talk to them as they are going to be part of us ..our body. We should treat them as if a new baby is going to arrive in our house…they are going to be part of us…they are going to protect us …they are going to give us energy…they are going to be our companion through thick and thin.
- i got lost somewhere , lets talk about prepared or packaged foods. Ask yourself, if such food have life in it, … if so,what kind of ? can they provide life inside you … are you ready to make them part of you … do you know who prepared them..when it was prepared them … what kind of ingredients were used … what was the cook thinking when prepared …how many people touched it..what were the things added to preserve this for such a long time…. i don’t feel very comfortable when i think about answers to these question and hence avoid it as much as possible
Food kept overnight
Food is primarily to sustain life. Ayurveda considers prepared food kept overnight as dead food and does not recommend.
- I am not going to go into debate whether organic food is better than non-organic. But i do firmly believe that Non-Organic even if equal is not better than organic. That leaves only two outcome, either both are same or organic is better. This is my life and i am not going to take chance , so i am all for organic. ..if you can afford, i would suggest go for organic. There is a trend to buy organic vegetbles … but i would focus more on the staple one being organic like milk, wheat, rice, daal. I don’t trust these pesticides. If they can kill living things like insects … i am sure they have negative impact on other living things like human. In my personal opinion, use of non-organic procedures like pesticides, antibiotics, preservatives, quick ripening techniques is behind the stratospheric increase in modern day unexplainable diseases like cancer ..etc
- In an episode of Dr Oz, there was a story about modern chicken industry and i was shocked to learn the chemicals they use to wash the chicken ( which are generally grown in filthy conditions. Tons of chemicals like Chlorine is used to clean the chicken and this cleaning is done many times with different toxic chemicals. Do you want to eat such stuff ?
- Also, with the non-organic variety foods these days, i have heard that they cannot grow unless we give them pesticides. These are genetically modified in such a way that they cannot without pesticides. I am of the opinion that the food that cannot protect itself, then how it can protect the consumer of food , which is us. In my personal opinion, increase in seasonal allergies and frequent cold,cough , fever …etc because we are eating less than optimal quality food
What about Soda?
As per Ayurveda, there are three things that should be eaten as less as possible. One of them is soda. On top of it , it has so much sugar …. I heard that a can of soda contain 24 packets of sugar. Human is so cunning, they came up with Diet Soda … but that seems more evil than the regular soda … i have heard that toxic chemicals are mixed to produce diet soda and there are studies that link Diet Soda to many conditions … google it and probably you will get your answers
What about Water?
- There are so many theories or opinion on water drinking these days that it is very easy to get lost. How reliable or well documented or well researched these opinions are … well i am not sure.
- As per the science of Ayurveda
- Water should be drank as per thirst only. It goes through the same digestive process as any other food. Some people think that we use water to clean our body, as it is used to clean gutter or floors. Our body is not a gutter, which can be cleaned by throwing water. Water is heavy to digest. Water and fire does not combine, similarly, by nature it works against the Fire element inside the body( ..that’s why fire engine carry water ) . In the body also, this water puts lot of burden on digestive fire
- You can take ¾ cup of water in the early morning. At other times, drink only as per thirst and there is no such thing as that we should consume 1 gallon or any other specific amount of water
- Also to note is that lot of times people feel excessive thirst ..but that may be a sign of some disorder and needs to be checked. One of thing to see is if the thirst is internal or in the throat only. One quick way to find out is to gargle some water and throw it. This way throat gets the water, but it does not go inside. If thirst disappears , then you save your digestive system from the unnecessary flood
- With Food or not : If you want to maintain your current weight, you can drink LITTLE water in the middle of diet, if you want to lose weight then drink LITTLE water before food and if you want to gain weight than drink LITTLE water after food
- Ayurveda goes into length in defining the usage of Cold, Hot/Warm and Water that has been cooled down after heating.
- Usage of Hot Water: Hot or Luke Water can itself be a medine. It can be taken to achieve the following:
- Help the digestive fire– like increases like. The fire and heat goes together
- Helps Digest undigested food — If you are fasting or trying to get rid of toxins or going through fever, sipping hot/luke water will help in this process
- Its beneficial for throat especially in wet cough conditions
- It helps clear the urine
- As per Ayurveda, it is said that normal water takes 6 hour to digest, Warm water takes 1 ½ hour to digest and Warm Water cooled takes 3 hour to digest
What about Nuts?
They are heavy to digest and produce heat inside the body. Limit to only few pieces ( like 4 Almonds ) per day.
This is called “Takra” in Ayurveda. It is prepared from Yogurt. We churn the yogurt and the fat is separated.It can be a wonderful thing. It is light to digest, helps the digestive system and lot of conditions related to digestive system are cured if the person just remains on this diet alone. This is little heat generating and hence should be avoided in hot conditions or if the person is suffering from heat related conditions.
Milk as per Ayurveda
- In my opinion, if there is one thing that is complete diet, then it has to be milk. That is one thing that has all that the body needs to survive. I have personally witnessed people people living on just milk diet
- It is sad to see that milk is viewed today as just a combination of calcium and fat. Fat is thrown out ( for bad press ) and practitioners recommending calcium tablets
- Science of Ayurveda has done extensive research in milk and they have defined milk from various animals like cow, buffalo, goat, camel …etc
- As per Ayurveda, Milk has the following properties
- Provides essentials oils to the body
- Provides body growth
- little heavy to digest
- creates cooling effect inside the body
- Gives life
- Can be taken regularly
- Increases intelligence
- For breast feeding mother, increase the flow of milk — like increases like
- Good in following conditions: Tiredness, Dizziness, to treat Alcoholism, certain cough, asthma, too much thirst, too much hunger, episode of long standing fever, difficulty in urination, blood disorders
- Fat Free or Reduced Fat Milk ? By now you know that nature works as a whole and there is no single element is responsible for good of things or the bad of things. We cannot take out fat from milk and expect it to be still milk. We should call that something else ….and Ayurveda nor anyone else has done any research to determine the effects of the modified milk compared to the whole milk.
- Homogenized Milk :I am in for unprocessed milk
- Should i heat: Milk is supposed to be always heated/boiled and then brought back to normal temperature to drink. We don’t recommend pouring milk directly from the container.
- Most Important: it should never be mixed with processed food or salty or sour food or with fruits. These are considered as poisonous combinations as per Ayurveda and can lead to many diseases including skin diseases
- I am allergic to milk: Human is use to milk right from mother’s womb, so to thing to look at when the allergy was developed. Is it something to do with the milk or something else is wrong inside the body
- I don’t like the taste of milk: Well, if we do everything for taste and be prepared to take bitter pill sooner or later. I would say that slowly develop the habit may be starting as little as one tea spoon and gradually increase in take till you get to a full glass
- What about Buffalo or Goat Milk: Buffalo milk is considered heavier to digest. It still carries the good qualities of milk. Same is true with Goat Milk
- The things that i am about to share about Yogurt may surprise many people. But my goal is to share the ancient scientific knowledge on this.
- The properties of Yogurt as per this science is that it is heavy to digest and produces heat inside the body. Inside the body, it releases sticky secretions and causes blockages of the channels and arteries
- If you are going to consume it, then do so with the following guidelines. It should never be eaten at Night, Never Heated, Never to be eaten in hot season like Summer, Autumn. Forget about multiple times a day, it should not be eaten on regular basis. Whenever this is taken, it should either be mixed with Sugar, Honey, Ghee or Amla Powder. It should never be taken when not fully formed and if these rules are not strictly followed it can cause fever, skin diseases, rashes ..etc
- Tomato is very widely today — it is in all curries, pizza, salads, sandwiches, pasta etc. I am not sure when we started eating this much, especially in the Indian food style. There is not very good news for tomato as per Ayurvedic science. It causes secretions inside the body which can block the channels and arteries. It can cause skin and heart diseases and is not good for the eyes.
- When i brought this news to our family, it was difficult to convince them with this knowledge, as typically we try to defend things that we have been doing so often and so long. However, doing wrong things ( knowingly or unknowingly ) many times or over a long period, does not make it right. My recommendation is that if you cannot absolutely avoid, than reduce its usage as much as possible.
- As per Ayurveda, fruits are heavy to digest. It should be eaten less and only seasonal and organic fruits should be eaten. The best fruits are sweet grapes ( with seeds ) and sweet Pomegranate
- Only ripened fruits should be eaten. Ripening should happen naturally. This throws out practically all non-organic fruits. You will be appalled to see how fruits are ripened these days. Good grace, they are not applying these tactics to human, else kids will be ready to go to college in one month
- Only seasonal and local fruits should be eaten as much as possible
- I personally think it is only a recent phenomena to eat more and more salad. Diets few decades ago and going back thousands of years was not predominant in salads. To know how Salads works inside our body, we have to look outside and observe how vegetable grows, survives, the duration of its life ..etc. First thing you will realize is that it usually takes a very small amount to time to grow ( compared with grains ). Secondly, they have a very limited shelf life. They are also very prone/susceptible to decay, bacteria …etc compared to grains. If we eat such foods then our bodies will also get those qualities. If we rely on such food whose life is short, prone to diseases ..etc, we cannot expect them to provide us strong body that lasts. Yes, it feels light, when we have salad, but it is light because it is light in nutritional value. I also feel that eating salads makes us more prone to diseases, as these foods attracts bacteria and diseases in the outside world
- Also, anytime we eat uncooked food, our digestive system has to work that much harder to extract nutrients out of it. All that hard work, which typically is performed by outside fire ( Cooking Stove) has to be now done by your inner fire. We should not burden our body with such heavy dose of work.
Cheese consumption seems to be very popular in western hemisphere. I am not sure about the Indian Subcontinent or other cultures around the world. This is not considered very good as per Ayurveda. To understand, we need to look at how cheese is prepared. I think the Milk is allowed to go bad by mixing with Sour/Salt. This is considered as poisonous combination as per Ayurveda and hence should be avoided. It takes long to digest and causes secretions inside the body leading to blockage of channels and arteries. It is not considered good for skin and may cause skin conditions.
I was introduced to Paneer little late in my life and it came as part of a delicacy when eating outside. Since then, i have seen the usage of this product has increased quite a bit and used more frequently in homes as well. I heard it was used in North India for some time,but not sure when it started and how prevelant it was couple of decades back. This is not considered very good as per Ayurveda. To understand, we need to look at how cheese is prepared. I think the Milk is allowed to go bad by mixing with Sour/Salt. This is considered as poisonous combination as per Ayurveda and hence should be avoided. It takes long to digest and causes secretions inside the body leading to blockage of channels and arteries. It is not considered good for skin and may cause skin conditions.
- I personally fail to understand why would somebody drink a juice and not the whole thing. But anyway Ayurveda does not have very high regards for juices.
- It is heavy to digest and not recommended. Instead get a fruit. …dah …avoid processing
Which oil to be used?
The word Oil in Sanskrit is Tailam. It originated from the world Teel ( sesame ). So generally the best or when not sure , it is best to use sesame oil. Oil is meant for external application only on a regular basis. As per Ayurveda, every oil gets its own properties based on the origin, like Olive Oil will get Olive properties likewise mustard oil. However some properties are common like spreading fast and penetrating, they first spread and then get digested. When taken internally it is bad for eyes and skin . It is also a very good servant and hence when treated/mixed with other herbs, can treat so many conditions …executes the command of the master ( herb )
Oil Vs Ghee ? When to use what ?
- Generally for external application use oil. This includes massage, Ear Pouring, Hair ..etc
- Similarly use Ghee for any internal applications, which includes pretty much all cooking
As per Ayurveda, Ghee Preparations are light to digest , good for heart, gives strength, good for skin, good for eyes … on the other hand , Oil preparations ( taken internally) are considered as heavy to digest, creates heat inside the body, and bad for skin and eyes.
Butter Vs Ghee
- Butter ( unsalted ) is preferred for kids till age 16 and Ghee is good for adults. Butter is good for Brain, Strength, skin. There is a tradition in North India, where ghee is introduced to kid only at the age of 16, till then it is mainly butter. Where do you think lord Krishna got his intelligence, he was fondly called Makhan Chor (Stealing and eating butter).
- Ayurveda has done extensive research in two kinds of butter:
- Created directly out of milk: This is the common one these days
- Created by churning of Yogurt ( traditional way ) : this is still considered better butter but the other one is not a bad 2nd choice. THe Milk-butter is also considered good for eyes
- I would say, if you are cooking for the whole family use ghee or butter with slight inclination towards ghee, but when the food is prepared purely for kids, use Butter … did i already say unsalted
Which oil is good for cooking ?
Ghee. Oil for external application only. Ghee Preparations are light to digest , good for heart, gives strength, good for skin, good for eyes … on the other hand , oil preparations are considered as Heavy to digest, creates heat inside the body, and bad for skin and eyes.
What about Bread?
It is fermented food and creates heat. I am not a huge fan of bread. I eat rarely. I make sure that is not taken along with Milk or Milk tea. It should be avoided if you have heat generating conditions like acidity, sour burps, excessive sweating. I made a choice to eat whole grain and Organic .. non additive , plain simple bread.
What about Cereals?
Generally avoid processed food. They take the nutrients away, cost more , beautified with toxic agents. Even if you take it, AVOID with milk. The combination of milk with processed food ( Sour, Salt ) ..etc creates a poisonous combination leading to multiple conditions like Skin disease.
What about Mushroom?
As per Ayurveda , avoid this baby.
What about Eggs?
They can be consumed sometimes. It has good qualities like giving strength.
What about Sprouts?
As per Ayurveda science, avoid this baby. It causes dryness, heavy to digest and harmful to eyes.
Which kind of daal/pulses is good?
- There are so many kinds of Pulses defined in Ayurveda, i find it difficult to remember. In general the properties of Pulses are they are drying in nature and hence always advised to be taken with ghee or make it as soup. It is light to digest and reduces fat.
- Whole Moong Daal — considered the best variety and also helps eyes
- Black eyed beans — helps worms
- Red gram ( masura ) – ok
- Chick Peas – Not good for adults trying to conceive
- Black Gram ( Urad ) – Worst of all varieties. Creates excess feces, generates heat, not advised to be taken
- Horse Gram – Creates heat and should not be used in summer or person suffering from heat conditions. Used sometimes in Kidney Stone disease
What about Salt?
- As per Ayurveda, there are 3 things that should be eaten as less as possible and salt is one of them. The other is Soda and the last one is long piper.
- Salt has following properties: It creates taste, ignites digestive fire, clears channels
- Variety: Rock Salt. You can try the Himalayan variety. I don’t trust the common salt as i am told the cracking process, where the iodine is added, it has to be heated to mind boggling 1000+ degree… i doubt anything going in that process will come back as same thing back .. anyway thats my theory
- Excessive use of salt can cause the following as per the science of Ayurveda
- Blood disorders
- Wrinkles in the skin
- Hair Loss
- Greying of Hair
- Skin diseases
- Loss of strength
Is Ghee good? Does it increase cholesterol?
This is the Golden oil. As per this science, Ghee has following properties
- Increases Intelligence and memory
- Helps the digestive fire — like Yagya
- Gives strength
- Increases life
- Good for healthy reproduction
- good for eyes
- Good for child , old aged and anyone in between
- Good for voice
- Protects against toxins and poison
- Anti Ageing
- Best Oil … ever
- Creates cooling
- In Ayurveda, Ghee is equated to Life … yes it can be that good
Are spices good?
- Like any other food items, different spice have different properties. All of them should be used based on certain rules and quantity. Traditional spices used in cooking are very good and each have an individual role to play. Some help to create the taste, some help to digest, some are good for cleaning the body, some creates good complexion of the body …etc. So, no spices are bad as such, including Red Chilli powder nor prohibited in Ayurveda. Obviously, Red Chilli Powder, is hot in nature, so it will help the digestive fire. Use of it may be good more in winter or cold conditions as oppose to summer
Does Ayurveda allows Meat eating?
- Like any science, Ayurveda has described properties various kinds of meat. You might be amazed to know , they have described 100s of different types of meats and how each one of them acts inside the Body and Mind … yes mind
- Meats in general are described under these categories
- Animals and Birds living in jungle ( Deer, Sparrow, Parrot …etc)
- Animals and Birds living in a domestic ( near home ) .. Cow, Frog, Crow, Chicken, Peacocks ..
- Animals and Birds Living Near Water — Elephants
- Animals and birds living on top of water (Ducks )
- Animals living under water … fish
As stated different types of animal depending on the category and exact variety has different food property. Goat Meat helps in gaining weight or in conditions where growth is required. Similarly Meat Soups are defined in Ayurveda as well .
In case you forgot, Meat also affects your Mind. It creates the movement in mind… helps people who are in Army, sales …etc, but not desirable if you want to focus your brain like people involved in studies, literature , doing religious activities
- Meats to avoid: One should not eat meat of diseases, old, emaciated, poisoned, fed on unnatural food and very young should not be eaten.
What about Alcohol?
- As any other food/drink, Alcohol is extensive defined in Ayurveda. There are various kinds of kinds of alcohol including but not limited to Beer-like, Wine, Whiskey ..etc.
- Like any other food … it acts both on Body and Mind
- Alcohol has certain properties like it creates heat, it can create Taste, helps in sleep disorders, helps in Depression ( obviously not related to alcoholism ) . It creates dryness. There are strict rules how it should be taken. It should be never taken in empty stomach, never with hot or heat creating substance. It should not be taken when new ( in other words, should be aged ) . It should not be taken when the appearance is not clear but turbid. . For these qualities it can be used in certain conditions and can act as Medicine, however when the rules are not followed ,it is considered Poison
- Person having Dryness and does not exercise , then even occasional alcohol is considered as poison
How about Vegetables?
- Vegetables are extensively described in Ayurveda. At a broad level, there are 5 categories
- Leafy – spinach
- Like Flowers – Cauliflower
- Fruit Like – grows like fruit hangs from the tree
- Stems of branches
- Tuberous – grows under ground e,g potato
They are described as heavy to digest, creates lot of waste products. These can also be harmful for blood, Bones, eyes and reproductive capabilities. Hence it is advised not to be taken regularly
- This is a wonderful wonderful gift of nature and we need to give its due respect.
- As per Ayurveda, these are the properties of honey
- Good for eyes
- clears channels
- Treats excessive thirst
- treats hiccups ( my son has a formula : honey ,or not water or holding your breath … in case you did not notice… all starts with H and easy to remember )
- Works against poisons and toxins
- blood disorders
- Certain Diabetic Conditions
- Skins Disorders
- Stops vomiting
- Certain type of Loose Motions
- Treats and heals wounds
- It creates dryness inside the body — this is one point where i think people have misconception — It treats cough by drying out the phlegm. It should be used ONLY in wet cough,.. where there is discharge and NOT in dry cough.
- It should be given regularly to Kids — My sister had a wonderful results when used with her kid. The kid had a regular issues with cough, cold , ear infections ..etc. …. which is considered by many as usual when kids either start a school or the season changes. She started giving him one spoon of honey and soon the occurrences of these events disappeared. This is just one example , there are such stories in every house. No wonder , honey played such an important role in recent past. Unfortunately, nobody is promoting honey or such natural cures these days, because it does not bring money to anybody’s coffers …
- There are certain restriction for honey usage that should be followed:
- It should never be heated or mixed with heated substance …. mixing with hot tea .. probably not a good idea
- it should be used sparingly in hot season/climate
- Please note again as there is misconception on how honey works.
- Honey is drying in nature and hence it absorbs excess wetness in body found during wet cold, cough etc.
- It has a unique ability to cleanse and hence throws out bad stuff from the body
- This is a wonderful gift of nature and if used rightly can do miracles. It is generally considered as very heat creating and good for treating cold conditions like frost bite. It helps in
- healing from bone fractures
- diseases of throat
- good for skin
- good for eyes
- This can be taken on regular basis in small quantities
- Both the dry and Fresh ginger are defined in Ayurveda and they can be used on a regular basis for maintaining health. It has so many wonderful healing and health properties that it gets a seat in the herbs category
- It can be used both internally and externally
- It helps in digestion, helping treat cold and cough , throat disorders, it creates taste , treats skin disorders ..etc
This builds strong body which is essential for good defense. It is little heavier to digest ( true with anything worthwhile ) . It is cooling in nature, helps in healing wounds and bone fractures and provides stability to mind and body
Dates ( Khajur )
Have a regular date with a Date ! specially in winter. This is one of the few things very beneficial for your hair. The dry variety that is little hard to chew is preferred. It produces cooling inside the body. It is little heavier to digest and should not be taken if you are trying to reduce weight.
Its a wonderful grain and can be very helpful in diabetic conditions. It helps reduce weight, helps to control excess urination, provides stability and helpful in many conditions like wet cough, cold, diseases of throat and skin diseases. It absorbs excess water inside the body and helps in condition like diabetes where there is lot of water retention inside the body
- This is a very good grain and no wonder it has been a staple diet of so many civilizations for thousands of years. Apart from providing strength, it lubricates the body , light to digest and cooling in nature
- Rule: It was a tradition to always eat rice from the previous harvest … essentially they are stored for a year or more and eaten later. This is true for all grains. This helps to digest grains better.This aging for rice is specially very necessary for rice because Rice production requires lot of water. This water is initially stored inside the rice. The aging process of rice ensures that the water dries up. In modern days, it is difficult to know if the vendor or the farmer is giving fresh rice or that is stored. If you see symptoms of coldness ( like running nose ) after eating rice, then probably that rice has not gone through proper aging , storage and water shedding.
It is heavy to digest , produces heat inside the body, lubricates the body, provides strength. It can be taken occasionally. It should never be mixed with Milk diet
It has similar properties as Garlic but to a lesser degree. It can be taken regularly and little heat creating and helps in sweating
Poisonous Combinations ( things to avoid )
- As per Ayurveda,there are certain combinations of food that should be avoid at all cost. Consuming such food may lead to various conditions. Some of these are
- Milk with fruit
- milk with salt products
- milk with sour products
- Taking out from fridge and directly heating
- Milk and fish
- Eating dahi at night
- Drinking alcohol in summer or with hot substance
What about Multigrain Atta?
Do you really need this ? In theory it might sound good, but logically it does not make sense. Its like talking to a person using 5 different languages at the same time. I am sure the person will get confused and there will be no communication. Similarly, when we send these different types of grains at the same time, what does body has to do…. it still has to process them separately …because each is unique in terms of the properties and qualities .. Body will be tired and confused … please stop this harassment to the body.
Signs of undigested food in your body
Any or multiple of these symptoms indicate this undigested food in the system –
- Coating in the tounge
- Sounds in stomach
- Does not feel good or pain increases on cloudy days
- Stool has either Foul Smell, Sinks, Takes Long time to flush, Salty taste in Mouth
- Oil application in the body or a particular site increases the pain
- Swelling in the body of any type